Friday, August 7, 2009

They. Are. With. Me. All. The. Time.

Ok, so my stay-at-home, or work-from-home mommy friends will have no sympathy, but these summer vacations aren't what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra time with the girls, but I can't pay bills, take out the trash, or wipe my own ass without them underfoot. "Mommy, whatcha doin'?" "Where are you?" "Come here." "I need you." God forbid I want to indulge in a little treat... a candy bar for breakfast, an extra cookie after lunch... I'm standing in the kitchen sneaking it like a kid, eating so fast I don't enjoy it. Not that I can buy a candy bar anymore, they are with me at EVERY store. "I want one, too!"
And what's more, I'll get no reprieve once the school year starts. Used to be, I'd wake before the family and be out the door to work before anyone woke. Foolish me used to miss the kids in the a.m.! And I'd have a little time, even just a half hour, when I got home from work before I'd go pick them up from school. Even a half hour makes a difference! I'd use the time to do dishes, or check email... whatever. When school starts this September, however, It'll be me getting them both up, dressed and driven to school. Boo will go to school at CCS with me, and TT at a preschool on the way. It'll be me that picks them both up on the way home. There goes my mornings and my 1/2 hour in the afternoons.
I used to have a little reprieve in the evenings, too, as Craig would handle bath time. Granted, it wasn't much, but it was a few minutes sans kids. With school starting earlier in the day, we've decided bedtime needs to be earlier as well. Meaning, if I want us all to sit down to the table together for dinner every night (and to me, that's imperative), then bath has to happen before dinner... before Craig gets home. Who does bath now? Me, of course.
This is what I have to look forward to once school starts: Wake up with TT at 6. Wake up Boo at 7. Two cups of warm milk (each) with a little TV in the morning while I get dressed. Breakfast. I dress TT while Boo dresses and feeds the animals... me nagging her all the way to do it faster. Out the door by 8. Drop off TT. Take Boo to class and teach a room of 25 6-7 year olds all day. Get Boo from class. Pick up TT. Home for a snack, and two cups of warm milk (each). Entertain the kids until bath. Bath. Pack lunches for the next day. Dinner. Bedtime. Girls are down by 8:30, I hope. Dishes, lesson planning, falling asleep on the couch at 10 while Craig watches TV, etc.
So, I know it's not as dreary as all that... but right now, at this juncture, it's how I see it. I don't see "me" time in there ANYWHERE!

1 comment:

Mommy said...

Oh my!!! And here I was looking forward to the end of summer.